Making a mark
The Footprint project at Bath Abbey is about moving from past to future. Thanks to this pioneering £19.4million initiative, our historic floor has been saved from collapse and the building has been opened up in new ways – to be enjoyed in its full glory by future generations.
We are also far more energy-efficient with new LED lighting system and underfloor heating that is powered by renewable energy from Bath's famous hot springs.
After so much of the Project being hidden behind the scenes, we have now completed our new Song School, meeting rooms and office space in Kingston Buildings, as well as a brand new Learning space which will transform what we are able to offer not just to our own Abbey congregation, but to the city we serve and its visitors. Our Abbey Shop has also had a complete transformation.
All that remains to be completed is the Discovery Centre in the south side of the Abbey, which is due to open in Autumn 2022.
The Footprint project aims:
- Restoring the Abbey’s collapsing floor, a precious part of our city’s Georgian heritage
- Preserving our community spirit by opening up even more opportunities for volunteering, groups and partnerships – through a whole host of activities
- Harnessing Bath’s hot spring waters to power eco-friendly underfloor heating
- Re-imagining spaces to create a comfortable, flexible place for all, from special services to family fun days, civic ceremonies to concerts
- Telling the story of the Abbey’s fascinating history through a brand new Discovery Centre
- An inspiring new learning space for schoolchildren right up to mature students
- A brand new Song School; home for the Abbey’s choirs and where visiting musicians can rehearse and be made welcome
To make a donation and help make Footprint a reality, just click through to our Donate to Footprint project page.