Bath Abbey Footprint
What is Bath Abbey Footprint?
Footprint is an £19.3 million programme of capital works and interpretation which will provide innovative and sustainable solutions to our needs including:
- Stabilising the ground beneath the Abbey floor
- Tapping into Bath’s greatest natural resource and heating the Abbey using energy from the hot springs
Adapting the interior of the Abbey so that it better expresses the faith and practice of the Abbey community and is more inviting for worship
- Installing energy efficient lighting and providing storage for staging
- Opening a new Song School for our Choirs and our expanding singing programme for local primary and secondary schools
- Providing a modern, welcoming space volunteers and visiting choirs can, at last, spend a little more time with us and enjoy our hospitality
- Creating 200 square metres of new space to provide a contemporary interpretation centre which will act as the hub for projects and activities displayed throughout the Abbey
Some initial excavation work is being carried out just outside Bath Abbey shop on Kingston Parade from November 2016 to March 2017. This work will provide some much needed storage space in the short and longer term.
The work will not impact on our worship and events programme in the Abbey or Abbey Shop opening times over the next few months. We have also worked closely with Bath Tourism Plus to minimise the impact on the Christmas market. A small number of chalets have been relocated to Kingston Parade but there has been no effect on the number of chalets showcasing at this year’s market.
We are grateful to everyone for their patience and understanding while this work is carried out.