The church is the people and not the building – so though we are not able to gather together physically at the Abbey we can gather as the ‘body of Christ’ around shared acts of worship which has been specially created by our clergy team. We hope you will join us and invite friends and family to do likewise.
We are very aware that lockdown (plus continuing winter weather) has felt to many of us like a “Long Lent” already! As a result the Abbey is deliberately focusing on a positive Lenten message for 2021, of our Christian calling to be a People of Hope. Our sermon themes and study groups will follow the excellent “Shining as Lights” course prepared by the Diocese of Sheffield. Our Rector, Guy, Revd Chantal and Revd Stephen look forward to exploring with you what it means to be a beacon of light in our families, neighbourhood, at the Abbey and across this city!
This will be a five week course taking place on Zoom on Wednesday mornings from 10.30 – 11.45am. Everyone is welcome.
- Session 1: Wednesday 24th February
- Session 2: Wednesday 3rd March
- Session 3: Wednesday 10th March
- Session 4: Wednesday 17th March
- Session 5: Wednesday 24th March
For personal reading, alongside the Abbey study course, there are an excellent crop of new Lent devotional books is available. Two you may like to consider are: Hannah Steele “Living His Story : Revealing the extraordinary love of God in ordinary ways” (the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Lent Book for 2021); and “ Thy Will Be Done” (an inspiring study of the Lord’s Prayer) by Stephen Cherry, Dean of King’s College Cambridge.
If you would like to take part, please email Revd Chantal Mason for the Zoom login details: [email protected].
Lent Sermon Series:
While we're in lockdown, you can watch our Lent Sermons during the 10.15am Sunday service via our Church Online page.
- Sunday 28th February – Here to be light (John 8:12, Mtt 5:14)
- Sunday 7th March – Leaning into the light (Isaiah 60:1-3, 19-20)
- Sunday 14th March – Seeing well (Psalm 119:105)
- Sunday 21st March – Light for the nations (Isaiah 49:6)
- Sunday 28th March (Palm Sunday) – Light up the darkness (2 Cor 4:6)
- Sunday 4th April – EASTER DAY – The light of the World
Holy Week and Easter
We are currently finalising details for worship over Holy Week and Easter. Please keep checking this webpage for updates.