The Bath Abbey Mothers’ Union (MU) is part of a worldwide Anglican-led organisation with more than 4 million members in over 80 countries. We are a community of like-minded people inspired by Christ to bring a humanitarian response to the needs of families around us and overseas, to be specially concerned with all that strengthens and preserves marriage and Christian family life. We are not all mothers, or even all women!
Established in 1943, the Bath Abbey branch continues to thrive with a busy programme of activities founded on a commitment to prayer, both individual and corporate. We take part in a mixture of prayers, talks, discussions and refreshments, and like all branches in the UK, regularly raise funds to support MU projects at home and overseas.
- We (and our friends) knit woollies for children in need in Africa and Eastern Europe.
- As part of the Bath Deanery group, we published and gave away free cookbooks for students at the Freshers Fairs at Bath Spa University and the University of Bath. The simple recipes and helpful hints are to help students to produce cheap but nourishing meals.
- During the Bath Christmas Market, the Deanery members ran a simple but successful café which raised over £1,530 for MU funds.
- We maintain a display of free MU leaflets in the Abbey about various projects and on topics such as “Children in Church”, “Children and bereavement” and “Godly Play”.
- We supported Make a Mother's Day this Mothering Sunday. Ethical gifts have changed the lives of countless families. This year the need has been greater than ever.
- As individuals, our members bring a wide variety of practical help and support to the Church, the community and each other.
For more information, please contact the Abbey branch leader, Diana Wade via the Abbey Office on 01225 422462 or email email@example.com.
For information about the Mothers Union in the Diocese of Bath & Wells and beyond, go to mu.bathandwells.org.uk or www.themothersunion.org