Crimean War Memorial
There is a rare example in the cemetery of a memorial to soldiers from Bath who died in the Crimean War.
The 20 foot monument was carved from pennant stone by Samuel Rogers and stands at the top of the carriageway. It is highly unusual because it records the names of both officers and other ranks.
The Memorial was dedicated on the Day of National Celebrations of Peace, 29 May 1856. A special service took place in the Abbey and 15,000 people followed a procession of soldiers and a cavalry band from Prior Park Road to the cemetery. After the dedication the celebrations concluded with fireworks at Beechen Cliff and Sham Castle.
Please click here to view the inscription which appears on the Crimean War Memorial.