What we do
The Friends visit Gloucester Cathedral
We keep our members up-to-date and informed through the following ways:
- Our notice board in the South transept of the Abbey
- Bi-annual mailings of the events programme and booking forms in Spring and Autumn
- An annual report published and distributed each October
- Our pages on the Abbey's website
Some of our events are held in the Abbey and often highlight a particular aspect of the beauty and interest in the Abbey, or the work of the people associated with the Abbey. Examples include:
- A lecture by Jeremy Key-Pugh on 'The Memorials within the Abbey'
- A presentation on 'The Art of Change Ringing' by the Abbey Ringers.
Some address an aspect of the history in the city or beyond:
- A walk round Tudor and Stuart Bath led by our former Chairman Dr John Wroughton.
- A visit to Number 1 Royal Crescent led by executive committee member Carolyn Hammond.
In addition, we hold a number of social events and day excursions through the year. These are usually well attended and popular with members. Examples of recent activities include:
- Lunch in the Green Park Brasserie restaurant followed by some musical entertainment by students from Bath Spa University
- A coach visit to Romsey Abbey and Mottisfont Abbey
We are planning a weekend visit to Leicester Cathedral to learn about Richard III.
Some events are linked to special services within the Abbey such as our Patronal Festival in June and our Advent Carol Service in December.
Some years we venture further from Bath for a longer period. We recently enjoyed a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela and walked part of the Camino.
We hope that through these events we can provide interest and enjoyment for all ages and keep alive the fellowship between Friends locally.
We welcome visits from Friends from other cathedrals and churches and last year hosted the Friends from Dorchester Abbeyr. If your church would like to visit please contact Mrs Dawn Farmer, our Visitors Officer, on 01225 303310 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are delighted when visitors from abroad join us and always like to meet them and make them welcome should they visit Bath again. Just contact the Secretary, Jeremy Key-Pugh, by email in advance of your visit on email@example.com