Abbey Music Society
Without music, life is a journey through a desert. Pat Conroy
Bath Abbey Music Society (or BAMS as we’re often referred to) was formed out of a shared love for church music.
First and foremost, we are a registered charity whose purpose is to provide much-needed financial and organisational support for the Abbey Choir and musicians. Last year we successfully raised over £5,000 for the Abbey’s music.
At the same time, it’s also a fantastic way to feel part of the Abbey’s magnificent musical tradition. Whether you are a chorister or an organist yourself, or you simply enjoy listening to great church music, this is an excellent way to give a little something back.
The main events of the year for us are the annual Christmas concerts which take place in the Abbey every December. We help to support and promote these marvellous musical occasions, as well as the regular organ recitals on the Abbey’s magnificent Klais Organ. Another exciting venture for us is the recording of Bath Abbey Choir and Organ CDs. These award-winning recordings are funded by BAMS and have proved to be very popular, receiving excellent reviews and enabling the Abbey’s music to reach hundreds more church music enthusiasts worldwide.
Details of forthcoming Choir Concerts and organ recitals can be found under Concerts.
Annual membership of BAMS costs just £10 a year. As a member you’ll have the opportunity of advanced booking for concert tickets at a special discounted rate and receive The Chorister, a regular newsletter about Bath Abbey musicians and music. For a donation of £30 or more, you can become a BAMS Patron - you’ll receive the benefits of a standard member, plus a free ticket for one of the Society’s concerts.
Your money will be used to:
- Provide music tuition grants for members of the Boys’ and Girls’ Choirs
- Buy and hire music for use by the choir
- Sponsor Abbey Choir concerts and organ recitals in the Abbey
- Purchase equipment (such as music stands, new choir robes and shelving for the music library)
- Subsidise choir tours to some of the most prestigious concert venues in the UK and Europe
- Help to pay for choir and organ recordings
- As a member of BAMS you'll also be helping us to safeguard and develop Bath Abbey’s music for many future generations to come
For further information or if you’d like to show your support for Bath Abbey’s music, please contact BAMS Membership Secretary, c/o Bath Abbey Office, 12 Kingston Buildings, Bath BA1 1LT